Total Time: 2 h 30 min
Cooking Time: 1 hour
for the base:
4 egg whites
250 gram fine sugar
2 tea spoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoon of maizena
1 drop vanilla essence
For the cream:
400 ml thick cream
1 pich of salt
3 tablespoons of fine sugar
1 drop vailla essence
For the fruit topping:
400 gram of mixed berries (blackberries, strawberries, rasberries, blueberries, physallis, ribus)
(frozen can be used, mae sure it is well thawed out, fresh is nicest!)
2 large metal bowls
First make the merengue base:
- Preheat oven 150 degrees Celsius- NO FAN!
- Whip egg whites in large clean metal bowl until firm and fluffy
- Slowely add sugar while whisking
- Whisk untill dusgra is completey dissolved and the mixture looks glossy
- Add int hevanilla essence, vinegar and maizena
- Whisk until evenly combined
Then prepare the baking sheet
- Prepare your baking sheet with baking paper and line a circle using the dinner plate and pencil.
- Spread out the merengue mixture onto the baking paper keeping it within the circle you perpared.
- Spread it out making slight edges, creating a bowl like effect.
- Place in oven and bake for exactly one hour.
- Let is cool down COMPLETELY in the oven after you have turned the oven off.
Then you make the cream
- When the merengue is completely cooled down start whisking the double cream untill thick (add sugar and salt)
- If using frozen berries make sure they are defrosted at this stage and maybe coated in some powder sugar if very tart.
- Prepare your bas by first placing it on a nice serving tray.
- Place the thick cream on top of you merengue base and top with mixed all the fruits and some mint leafs.
- Voila, bon appetit! (don’t assemble more then 20 minutes before serving, ass the merengue will loose it’s crisp and the whole thing will get soggy if left too long)